How can I develop Mental Toughness in People and in Organisations?
The Mental Toughness model provides us with a comprehensive approach to assessing and developing an important aspect of developing the Human Capital in our organisations.
Firstly, the Mental Toughness model and the MTQ48 measure provides with the capability to assess mindset and to identify what its implications are.
Secondly, this level of analysis enables us to identify where development activity might be effective and what form might that take. This falls into 5 broad groupings which embrace a plethora of simple but effective techniques including Mindfulness, Self Talk, Anchoring, etc:
- Positive Thinking – you are what you think
- Visualisation – you can see success or you can see failure
- Anxiety Control – dealing with panic – typically muscular relaxation and controlled breathing
- Goal Setting – providing purpose
- Attentional Control – learning to focus better and for longer
AQR International has a number of programmes and toolkits developed for organisations of all types.
Finally, the ability to evaluate change reliably in mental toughness – a key enabler for most valuable outcomes in the workplace, education and health.
Research and case studies from around the world show that Mental Toughness is a major factor in:
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals
- Positive Behaviour – more engaged, more positive, more “can do”
- Wellbeing – more contentment, better stress management , less prone to bullying
- Aspirations – more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk
AQR’s work means that we now have:
- The ability to define and describe an important aspect of our personality – Mental Toughness
- A concept which is accessible to everyone and which helps to explain performance, wellbeing and behaviour
- The first psychometric measure which measures an individual’s Mental Toughness
- A Mental Toughness Development programme which delivers measurable results.
The result is a complete package which has valuable applications in the social, health, educational and occupational worlds. It applies to every aspect of developing and maintaining human capital.
Catch up with the other articles in the series at:
@ AQR International 2016.
AQR is a leading edge publisher of psychometric measures, we also work through partner organisations. For more information please visit www.aqrinternational.co.uk