Research and case studies from education show that mindset and attitude are major factors in most of the important outcomes for individuals at secondary school age.
- Performance – explaining up to 25% of the variation in performance in individuals. MT people deliver more, work more purposefully, show greater commitment to purpose and are more competitive. This translates into better academic achievement, personal development and better attendance in school.
- Wellbeing– more contented. The mentally tough show better stress management, willingness to participate, better attendance, sleep better, are less prone to bullying are less likely to develop mental health issues. They can take stressors in their stride.
- Positive Behaviour– more engaged. The mentally tough are more positive, more “can do”, respond positively to change and adversity, show better attendance, and contribute to a positive culture and a stronger focus on the opportunities in the world of employment.
- Openness to Learning– More aspirational. The mentally tough are more ambitious, prepared to manage more risk – seeing opportunity for learning everywhere and understanding the need for a transferable skill set in preparedness for the world of employment
- Transition–Those with higher levels of mental toughness deal better with new settings (switching from junior to secondary school), new programmes, courses, new teachers and classmates, etc.
We have seen a positive impact on the attainment, wellbeing and behaviours of students and staff. The 4 Cs model is very accessible to all stakeholders and is now embedded in the school’s ethos. The next stage is to carry out (within a PhD programme) a formal analysis to better understand which interventions are most effective and how we can apply this to different groups of pupils.
The techniques and exercises used in the programme must be fully integrated into the curriculum at a classroom level and used at home. Parents, Progress Mentors, Subject Teachers and Support Staff must be informed of the results of the Development Report and equipped with the necessary skills to deliver and maintain the scheme so that all students can benefit from heightened concentration, self belief and positive thought.
There are no upcoming events at this time.