Mental Toughness Symposium
November 15 @ 09:30 - 17:30 UTC£75 – £100
(Please note, VAT is added at checkout. Early bird tickets are £75 + VAT with a limited number of spaces. Standard tickets are £100 + VAT).
This is a collaboration event supported by the Occupational Psychology division of the Northern Ireland British Psychological Society. The InteRRaCt Lab, Queen’s University Belfast and AQR International have come together to showcase the latest thinking in the field of ‘Mental Toughness’ and the implications on Occupational Psychology from the eyes of both academics and practitioners.
Mental Toughness is a practical concept which brings valuable insight into people and organisational development. It describes the mindset that every person adopts in everything they do. It is closely related to qualities such as character, resilience, grit, etc. It is defined as:
“A personality trait which determines, in large part, how people respond to challenge, stress and pressure, irrespective of their circumstances”.
This is a unique opportunity to explore this fundamental aspect of people development. You will hear from academic’s who have contributed to the ongoing development of the model as well as ensuring that this important personality trait is rooted by a vast amount of academic research.
You will also hear from Practitioners who use the Mental Toughness Framework at the core of their work in an occupational setting, all in different ways.
This event is aimed at psychologists, students and practitioner’s alike. It will be particularly relevant if you have an interest in evidence-based practice in the following fields:
Learning and Development – Talent Management – Coaching and Mentoring – Psychometrics – Organisational Development – Consultancy – Culture Assessment and Development
Speakers include –
- Dr Kostas Papageorgiou (Lecturer, Queens University Belfast & Associate Professor, Tomsk State University) – Pushing Boundaries, Opening New Frontiers
- Dr John Perry (Head of Psychology, Mary Immaculate UC) – Evidence-Based Practice and its Relationship with Key Ideas
- Professor Peter Clough (Head of Psychology, Huddersfield University) – The Mental Toughness Story: Its Origins, the Journey and Where We are Now
- Doug Strycharczyk (CEO, AQR International) – Observations from the Man in the Middle: When the worlds of Academia and Business Collide
- Dr Samineh l. Shaheem (Professor of Organisational Behaviour and Leadership, Dean, Hult International Business School) – The Collation between Mindset (Dr Carol S. Dweck) and Mental Toughness: Key Strategies to Strengthen and Develop an Effective Mindset
- Zoe Sweet (Director of Organisational Development, Academi Wales) – Mental Toughness – Passion and Perseverance in the Public Sector, Perspectives from Wales
- Lorna Lawless (Coaching Psychologist, Next Level Coaching) – Developing Mental Toughness Using Mixed Martial Arts
- Tayler Truhan (PhD Student in the InteRRaCt Lab), Teresa Sofia Gomes Arrulo (PhD Student in the InteRRaCt Lab) and Delfina Bilello (Research Associate in the InteRRaCt Lab) – Mental Toughness and Personality in the InteRRaCt Lab – Example Projects and their Practical Implications
What you will get from attending the Symposium?
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT – You will learn something new that will have a positive impact, not only in your work but your life.
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION– You will be able to add approaches and ideas to your work.
- PROVOCATIVE – You will be inspired to think about your own practices– and will still be thinking about it for many months ahead.
£100 + VAT (Early bird is £75 + VAT with a limited number of spaces available). VAT is added at checkout.
PLEASE NOTE: Cost includes registration, lunch, refreshments and all conference materials. Attendees will be given a voucher to complete the MTQPlus assessment free of charge post-event.